Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Welcome 2008


I often times think that January 2nd is truly the day when the New Year begins. For most part, the first of January is spent wishing everyone a happy new year and recovering from too much partying on December 31st. It is on the 2nd of January when most of us resume our normal lives and we head back to work. So far, nothing seems different from last year other than a subtle change in the mindset even though I have the exact same lack of motivation for work today as I did last year.

It is quite funny how a single number change can alter our attitudes towards life. Many of us take the approach that the proverbial slate is wiped clean when the New Year begins thus we can start fresh. While this is a good approach to take and gives us motivation, it still is an illusion of the mind and only lasts a few days (if we are lucky) or few moments before reality sinks in and wipes away the rosy glow with it the realization that nothing really has changed since December 31st.

1 comment:

GRADE XIII said...

Ah I see, Jan 2nd stuff makes sense because on the 1st all I felt was that it was a Sunday. Date never came into consideration.
However, that could be due to the fact that my body and mind has not accepted Jan 1st as the beginning of the year. I think its a wrong choice! Now you might be thinking, 'oh really? how so?' I'll tell you how. Its freakin' cold in January. Who the hell wants to celebrate in the damn cold. I mean it didn't hold me back but I could've done more if it wasn't so cold.
I'm thinking about going lunar on this, go with Chinese New Year. Its mostly in Feb. Without argument its the only month with less than 30 days, that makes it special in its own right. Also, they not only use dates but also include animals in their year scheme - providing the public with a bonus. You know its like: 'happy new year, its [animal] year - wikipedia it.' And the public is like: 'oh awesome, i will wikipedia it.'
It just seems like a better call.